The Power Of Personalized Legal Services

A Law Firm Working Hard For You And Your Children

Lawrence H. Kleiner, LLC, offers comprehensive family law representation, including guidance in matters of child custody and support. A basic outline of the process is given below. But there is no substitute for case-specific advice. After reading, give us a call to discuss your own legal needs in a free consultation.

Negotiated Agreements Vs. Court-Ordered Custody

Most couples getting a divorce have a difficult time seeing eye to eye (as evidenced by the need to divorce). But when it comes to child custody matters, a negotiated solution, when possible, is usually the best course of action. It is less contentious and stressful and gives both parents much more control over the outcome.

If you and your ex-spouse are able to draft a workable custody arrangement together, the court will likely approve it as long as it meets the best interests of your children. If you cannot agree, each of you will need to submit a proposed parenting plan to the court, which will then decide for you. A parenting plan lays out each parent’s wishes for custody awards, parenting time, schedules and other related details.

Whether you want to try negotiation or need to pursue court-ordered custody, we will be with you every step of the way, offering advice, guidance and skilled representation.

Paternity Matters

Not all custody matters arise out of divorce. In some cases, parents were never married (or even dating). If you are the father of a child and need to establish your legal rights, you will likely need to establish paternity and petition the court. We can guide you through the process.

Similarly, if you are seeking child support from the father of your children and you have never been married, it may be necessary to first establish paternity before seeking court-ordered support.

Modifying Court Orders

Child custody and child support orders are court-issued and enforceable, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they need to be permanent. As children grow, their needs and relationships change. In order to continue meeting their best interests, it may be necessary or desirable to modify custody and support orders.

If there has been a substantial change in circumstances and you believe it is time to revisit court orders, we are ready to help you petition for modifications to your custody and support agreements. We will help you craft the strongest argument for why such a change is warranted and appropriate.

Discuss Your Legal Needs With An Attorney Today

Lawrence H. Kleiner, LLC, proudly serves clients throughout Bergen and Passaic counties. To take advantage of a free initial consultation with one of our skilled family law attorneys, call us in Closter at 201-584-9780. You can also fill out our online contact form.